Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chicken Bolognese

I guess this is going to be my first official recipe post! Andddd...twas a success!

So for the past, oh maybe six months, I have been on a terrible, terrible food trip. Even yesterday you could find me at a dessert bar eating a peanut butter chocolate brownie...with peanut butter chocolate ice cream...and hot fudge. So good!!!! But really, all I can think about is getting in shape for the summer since it's getting so fricken warm now. Not that it's a bad thing. I just hate running and love eating. So hibernation during the winter time is not so bad. But, as I said, it's getting warm....and to me warm means less clothing...which means I have to get in shape! So to start my new years resolution (yes, months late), I decided to make chicken bolognese! I pretty much had everything on hand, except the chicken, which I picked up of course. But, basically everything I needed is shown here:

Actually, I used two recipes to make this. The first was to make a marinara sauce, which I got from Ina Garten off the Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/marinara-sauce-recipe/index.html). Didn't change much...but, also didn't measure anything. Pretty straight forward...but, I did simmer the sauce for about an hour to develop more flavour.

 Everything swimming in red wine...
Then add the tomatoes....
Bubble, bubble, bubble...
And done!

Now, onto the bolognese sauce from Michael Chiarello's website (http://www.napastyle.com/recipe/recipe.jsp?productId=2309&parentCategoryId=614&categoryId=721&subCategoryId=716).

Now, I managed to change quite a bit here. I eliminated the porcini (remember, I'm a student), substituted dried italian seasoning for the fresh thyme, used red instead of white wine (the red was in the marinara...thought I'd be consistent), eliminated chicken broth, substituted mozzarella for parmesan (it was either that or provolone, which I had on hand), and used all the marinara sauce from Ina's recipe (which was at least 3-4 cups). So, I guess basically, I managed to re-create my own recipe! And I must say, it turned out delicious!




 In goes the marinara...


Tada! The finished product:


Enjoy! I know I did.

DL

No comments:

Post a Comment