Thursday, March 22, 2012

Stir-fried Buckwheat Noodles

As much as I like to cook, there are some days, like today, where I am just way to exhausted to even think about it. I mean, it is quite the process. First, you gotta think of something to make...then prepare everything you need...and cook...before finally scarfing everything down faster than it took to you to make it. And who could forget the wonderful clean up afterwards (well, for those of us who don't have a wonderful machine to do it for us).
Since I live downtown, it's pretty tempting to just grab take out on my way home on those busy days. Even today I was sooooooo close to picking up Five Guys on my way home. But then I realized I have just one week until I head out of town for about 9 days, where I will be doing A LOT of eating. And not just eating...but, a lot of eating out. So, I figure I make use of the time I have to cook at home before I go binge eating. What can I say, I have terrible self control of what I eat when I can't cook. Technically, yes, I could pick better menu options...and yeah I probably shouldn't over eat. But, really, I'm on vacation! Ok, actually, most of it is for work, but I still take it as an opportunity to savor the unique and specialty foods offered where ever it is I am going.
Anyways, back to the main topic. So, I skipped Five Guys and decided to raid my kitchen and see what I could whip up. It's nearing the end of the week, so I had like nothing fresh left, except some peppers. I also had some frozen shrimp and buckwheat noodles lying around, so I thought I'd make some Asian inspired stir-fried buckwheat noodles with shrimp and veggies! The good thing about this is that it literally took me under 30 mins to prep and cook everything - perfect for those "I don't feel like cooking" days! I pretty much just made up the recipe, so the amounts are pretty rough. But, you can add much any vegetable or meat you want and alter the oyster sauce, soy sauce, or sesame oil to taste. Also, some green onions would've been fantastic here...but, I didn't have any, and was way to lazy to walk across the street to get some.

Stir-Fried Buckwheat Noodles

2 bunches buckwheat noodles (cook according to directions ~6 mins)
2 bell peppers
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic (minced)
12 medium sized shrimp
1-2 tbs oyster sauce
1-2 tbs soy sauce
1-2 tsp sesame oil



To be super efficient, I start boiling water to cook the noodles as I prep the remaining ingredients so that they will be done about the same time.
Add some veg oil in the pan...get it nice and smoking hot. Then add the onions and cook for abut 4-5 mins until slightly browned. Then add the peppers for another 4-5 mins until browned. And for the last minute of cooking add the garlic and cook until fragrant (careful not to brown or burn the garlic). Transfer to a plate.


In the same pan, add some more veg oil until hot. Then add the shrimp and cook on the one side for about 1.5 mins. Then the other side for about 45 sec. Careful not to over cook them!


Remove the shrimp immediately and transfer to the plate containing the veggies.


The noodles should be ready by now. Drain and rinse the noodles with some cold water until the water runs clear. Add a touch of oil into the same pan. When hot, add the noodles and quickly toss. Then add the platter of veggies and shrimp along with the oyster and soy sauces. Toss to coat everything evenly. Taste...and add more oyster sauce or soy if needed. Turn off the heat and mix in the sesame oil well.


 And voila ! A delicious, quick, and easy dinner !





DL


No comments:

Post a Comment